ECARE First Book Subvention Prize – Call for Application
The ECARE Committee of the AILC-ICLA is pleased to announce the Call for Application to the 2023 edition of its First Book Subvention Prize that supports and recognises the work of early career researchers (ECRs).
This annual award provides funding for a subvention for an early-career scholar’s first book to be published as a monograph, in any language, in the field of comparative literature, broadly conceived. As more publishers are requiring authors to assume partial or full costing for the publication of their books, the high fees can be prohibitive for early-career scholars.
The prize consists of:
- Award of the equivalent of USD $1500 to be used for costs related to publishing a monograph including the subvention amount required by the publisher, costs with indexing, copy-editing and royalties.
- Announcement of the name and institutional affiliation of the winning author and their publication on the AILC-ICLA Website and Newsletter.
- Announcement of the name and institutional affiliation of the winning author and their publication during the General Assembly of the Triennial 2025 AILC-ICLA Congress in Seoul.
- Book review to appear in issues of Recherche Littéraire/Literary Research subsequent to the book’s publication.
- Deadline for application: 31st October 2023.
- The applicant must be an active ICLA member at an early-career stage (ECR) at the time of the application. ECR is here defined as academics in possession of a doctoral degree, or equivalent, who either hold or are in search of post-doctoral positions, fellowships and/or in temporary or part-time academic posts. We also consider ECRs those who have obtained a full-time, tenure- or permanent-track academic position up to 36 months from their date of employment.
- Awards are expected to be announced on 2nd April 2024.
- Applications must be made via email addressed to the ECARE Committee Chair, Dr Emanuelle Santos, at email@example.com and must contain the following attached files (all should be in PDF format, and all – but the sample book chapter – should be in English or French):
- A complete academic CV.
- A cover letter including the book proposal and information on what costs the prize of the award is meant to cover and whether the costs can be covered via reimbursement to the awarded ECR or if they must be paid directly to a specific supplier.
- A copy of the book contract. In case the eventual award of the prize is intended to cover subvention costs, these should the mentioned in the contract. If the contract is not originally in English or in French, its content should be translated in a separate PDF document.
- A sample chapter from the proposed book. This should be left in the original language of the publication.
Please note that any payments related to the award of this prize will be made after the planned award announcement date. The payment lead time can also be affected by procedures related to international payment procedures which are beyond the control of the AILC-ICLA.