Elections of officers and members of the Executive Council
(1) Preamble: who is elected and when
(2.a) List of nominees selected by the Nominating Committee
(2.b) Nominations by individual members
(3) Elections: who can vote, and how
(4) Information on the 2022 Elections
The elections of the Officers of the AILC-ICLA (President, 4 Vice Presidents, 2 Secretaries, 3 Treasurers) and of the members of the Executive Council (18 members) take place at the time of each Congress; their term lasts until the following Congress (thus normally 3 years). From 2022, elections will be online.
The result of the ballot are announced at the General Assembly at the end of a Congress, and online.
The Officers and members of the Executive Council for the term starting in 2022 were elected in July 2022, and the election closed during the Congress in Tbilisi, Georgia, 24-29 July 2022.
A list of candidates is selected by the Nominating Committee. The composition of the Nominating Committee, its procedures and the criteria for selection of candidates can be found on the Nominating Committee’s page.
Nominations can also be made by individual members, as explained below.
A list of nominees to the Executive Council and the positions of Officers, with short biographies of the candidates, is published on this page in advance of the next phase, described below in (2.b), and replaced by the final list of candidates. The final list of candidates for election is published below (Section 4).
Members of the AILC-ICLA can nominate other candidates to the Executive Council. Candidates must be members in good standing of the AILC-ICLA. These candidacies must be supported by 7 members of the AILC-ICLA in good standing.
- The name, title, affiliation of the candidate.
- A statement of no more than 1 page explaining the candidate’s background and qualifications, and the grounds for the nomination
- A 1-page CV of the nominee
- An 80-word biography of the nominee (for the ballot information)
- The names, affiliations and contact details of 7 supporting members (including the member making the nomination)
- Confirmation (by email) by the nominee that s/he is willing to accept the nomination (NB: the nominee must write personally to the Secretaries to confirm her/his acceptance)
- Confirmation (by email) by each of the 7 members supporting the nomination (NB: each member supporting the nomination must write individually to the Secretaries to confirm his/her support of the candidate)
The date by which all information and confirmations must be received will be published on this page. In 2022, the deadline was 7 June 2022.
Late or incomplete nominations cannot be accepted.
In order to vote, members must have been members of the AILC-ICLA for at least 2 weeks before the opening of the elections. Most members of the AILC-ICLA are members of one of the affiliated National Associations, though there is an increasing number of individual members too. Members who are unsure of their status can ask us to check their membership status through this form. (Please allow at least 2 weeks for us to respond, as checks will need to be done manually and may require us to liaise with member associations’ officers.)
For all information, including a list of candidates with short biographies and a proposed amendment to the Statutes, please visit the page 2022 Elections: Information.
The next elections will take place in 2025, and information will be published closer to the date.