Prizes, Grants and Subventions
The AILC-ICLA offers a number of prizes, grants and subventions to its members.
The focus is especially on Early Careers Researchers (including doctoral students), but we also aim to support senior scholars, especially in cases when their circumstances do not allow them to fund their travel to ICLA Congresses.
- ECARE Prizes for Doctoral Students and Early Career Researchers:
- Best Graduate Paper Prize at a Congress of the AILC-ICLA ($ 250) This prize will be inaugurated at the XXIII Congress in Tbilisi, Georgia, in July 2022
- First Book Subvention (up to $ 1500) – Deadline for application extended to 15 May 2022!
- Best Translation Prize ($ 1000) – Deadline for application extended to 15 May 2022!
For more information, see the ECARE prizes page.
- The Anna Balakian Prize, established from a joint donation from the family of Anna Balakian and the Friends of the AILC-ICLA, is awarded to an exceptional first monograph in the field of comparative literary studies, written by a single author who has not attained the age of 40 years ($1000 + travel expenses up to $1000 to attend the Congress to receive the award). For more information see the Balakian Prize page.
Participation Grants (previously “Travel Grants”) in particular (but not only) to participate in an AILC-ICLA International Congress will be offered to Early Career Researchers (including doctoral students) as well as to more senior scholars in countries or contexts that make it extremely difficult for them to finance their participation in ICLA events.
Participation grants offered to attend the XXIII International Congress in Tbilisi, Georgia, 24-29 July 2022:
Owing to uncertainty of the on-going sanitary crisis, the political situation, and the hybrid format of the Congress, the Participation Grant Committee has decided to allocate all its funds for the upcoming 2022 ICLA Congress (Tbilisi, Georgia, 24-29 July 2022), in the form of Congress registration Fee Waivers, giving special priority to students and to scholars who express need of financial aid.
Those who wish to apply are kindly invited to send a message to email@example.com, attaching also their accepted proposal for the Congress.
Registration begins on 25 March 2022; the Committee expects to receive these requests by 10 May 2022, so that decisions may be taken at the latest by 17 May 2022.
For more information see the Participation Grants Committee page.
The ICLA also supports:
- its Research Committees‘ activities and publications (click here for more details on the ICLA Research Committees)
- Its open access Journal, Recherche Littéraire/Literary Research;
- the organization of its triennial International Congress, with a subvention of $10,000 (please see the ICLA Congress hosting information for more details).
The AILC-ICLA gratefully welcomes donations to its ECARE Prizes and Participation Grants fund. These can be made by contacting one of our Treasurers (details here) or by making a credit card payment and selecting the Donations option. Thank you.