Membership of the International Comparative Literature Association entitles you to receiving regular information, for example via the Newsletter; receiving the Association’s journal, Recherche Littéraire / Literary Research; participating in the ICLA Congresses and other ICLA events; voting in the elections and taking part in consultations, as well as being a candidate for election to the Executive Council; being part of one of the ICLA high-profile research groups (Research Committees) or one of its advisory committees; being able to apply for one of the ICLA’s prizes, grants or subventions. Most importantly, it makes you a member of a network of thousands of comparatists around the world, and it helps support and develop this important field, in all its facets.
How to become a member
To become a member of the ICLA, there are two options:
(1) Members of National or Regional Associations that are formally members of the ICLA and in good standing are automatically granted membership of the ICLA.
A list of Member Associations can be found on the Member and Supporting Associations page.*
Note that not all of these associations are currently in good standing. If you are not sure of the status of your membership via these associations, please contact your national/regional association for further details, or submit a request through our membership check form. We shall check for you – please allow up to 4 weeks.
(2) Individuals can become members at the annual rate of $10 / €10. The subscription fee can be paid by credit card or by bank transfer to the relevant regional Treasurer.
To pay your membership using a credit card, click here.
To register using bank transfer, please contact the appropriate treasurer for your area:
- Treasurer for Asia-Pacific: YAMANAKA Yuriko, email@example.com (postal address: National Museum of Ethnology, 10-1 Senri Expo Park, Suita, 565-8511, Japan)
- Treasurer for the Americas: Adelaide Russo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Treasurer for Europe, Africa and the Middle East: for the moment, please contact both the outgoing treasurer, Roberto Vecchi, email@example.com AND the incoming treasurer, Alexandra Ambrosio Lopes, firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: Students can join the ICLA free of charge. To register, if you are a student, please fill in this form.
*Please note that the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) is now a “Supporting Association” and no longer a “Member Association”: ACLA members no longer have automatic membership of the ICLA or access to its full benefits. If you are an ACLA member and want to be a member of the ICLA too, please take out individual membership.
If you are not sure of the status of your membership, you can check it by filling in the membership check form. We shall check for you. Please allow up to 4 weeks.